Each year over 20,000 people go to the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the heating months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your family safe, Komfort Air is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Place a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries every year.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and pets away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, buy a model that powers off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally examined and cleaned annually.
The ultimate thing you can do for your furnace is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping you warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Komfort Air will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 704-705-8135 today and ask how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.