When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At Komfort Air, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back out of your home, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Komfort Air prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Charlotte, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Charlotte or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 704-705-8135 or schedule an appointment with Komfort Air through our online scheduler.