Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping your home’s air cool, which means that any time you allow heat to come back in to home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Charlotte heat out and help your air conditioner last during the final days of summer.
Here are seven tips from Komfort Air Service Experts to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Take a look in your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a sophisticated comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or revealing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven create a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances the night off.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After learning about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option may simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we’ve listed, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your equipment is operating correctly and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than you have to. Give Komfort Air Service Experts in Charlotte or set up an appointment online to have a pro check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating as it should be.