Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your house, being comfortable in your new area no matter the weather is key. However, they can make a unique situation for contentment. This is due to the fact adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the increased load, because it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable possibilities is to install a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Discover more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition might be a great fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, as they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient as they shift heat to make your addition more comfortable. In reality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for extra rebates and decrease your utility expenses for years to come.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Since each room often has a dedicated indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is extremely beneficial if you have a space with precise temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for areas that don’t have ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than installing ductwork and using your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is costly. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the exact cost will depend on your home, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system might become overworked. When your existing heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your home before the addition. This can overwork your system and make it wear down faster.
- Your comfort might suffer. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort may decrease if your system is forced to cover a larger area. Your heating and cooling may be less powerful, and your energy costs might increase due to the system needing to operate more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are available in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Komfort Air Service Experts, we’ll help you select the correct size for your new space. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate sizable energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or greater when correctly maintained. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Komfort Air Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you select the right model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Komfort Air Service Experts can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide support. Give us a call at 704-705-8135 today to request a free consultation and estimate.