How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Mint Hill Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s often associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?

Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO2 exposure is a matter of life and death. CO2 is tops when ranking leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning a very serious concern for any Mint Hill homeowner. Acute poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

Steps you can take to reduce the CO2 risk in your Mint Hill home?

  1. No home should be without a reliable, tested CO2 detector. You can call Komfort Air to purchase one today.
  2. If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us